Saturday, July 17, 2010

Wanted!

Your recent favorite reads!
Me, a Type A personality, left to my own devices for weeks on end with limited time to motor about on both feet,am in need of more books to read. In the past week I have read these three books:

How To Knit A Love Song
A lusty, predictable love story with a very light drama laced throughout but with lots of references to farming, knitting and love, it was a fun read.

Little Bee
I wasn't attracted to this book on the shelf but then thought better of it and found it a fast and moving read. I wept as I finished the last page.

Incendiary
So I had to have some more by Chris Cleave and just finished Incendiary today. Now this book was tough. From page one to the last page it was hard to continue and yet impossible to put it down. Therefore I didn't. Not a happy book, not at all. But if you are brave and can work through it's dark spots, take it on.


What are you reading, what can you suggest next for me? Kris, thanks for your offerings today: Imperfect Birds by Anne Lamont and also Still Alice. While I wait to hear your thoughts, I have The Shadow of Your Smile by Mary Higgins Clark waiting.....

7 comments:

  1. Well, any of the travel books by Paul Theroux. I found the Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan gripping, heart wrenching and all of it true.
    Cod by Mark Kurlansky
    Chocolat by Joanne Harris a wonderful read if you've never read it and only watched the movie.
    A Year at the Races by Jane Smiley
    The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. I read this book when it first came out and STILL think about this book. Finally, The Last Days of Dogtown by Anita Diamant.
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris is smart, funny, and very entertaining.

    I'm also working on The Black Dagger Brotherhood series (can't remember the author). Interesting plots, a bit of the ol' zizzle and zazz (i.e., NC-17), and also very entertaining.

    Evidently I'm going through a vampire phase ... they're in both series.

    Oh, and the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters is a *lot* of fun.

    Hope you're back on your feet soon -- or as soon as you're supposed to. I know how hard it is not to be up and about, believe me! (I was on bed rest for both pregnancies.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Have you read The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd yet? Loved that one a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:12 AM

    Have you read The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauriella8:11 AM

    I have nearly every Mary Higgins Clark book here in my bookcase, so if you like the one you are reading, I'll bring you a few others.

    Chosen by a Horse by Susan Richards is one of my recent favorites.

    I am currently reading Life's a Beach by Claire Cook. It's a very funny and lighthearted read.

    Happy to share all of these with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Nanc.

    I've been doing a reading group on Facebook. We recently read Ciderhouse Rules...that was good.

    We also read Love in the Time of Cholera...a good book but hard to get through, very descriptive, and interesting to read being married.

    Now we are reading Memoirs of a Geisha which is turning out pretty good. We have a ton of classics too, and a lot of Hemingway. I can drop something off if you are in need.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thannks for sharing

    ReplyDelete