Saturday, July 14, 2012

blue thumbs

thinking of the book from so long ago
"Even Cowgirls Get the Blues"
where Sissy Hankshaw is a woman born with a mutation
of enormously large thumbs, though she considers it a gift...
mine are not so big but lately bluer than usual.

the woad bed is growing quite nicely.
here it is at
the end of June
 I harvested some of the plants that needed thinning
and gathered up 3.5 pounds
 simmered the leaves up
 the dye liquor produced the right brown shade
 I adjusted the pH and it changed to a lovely green
reduced the oxygen
 the pigment settled
 and was drained off
and is now drying to a powdered extract
bottom line numbers
3.5 pounds of leaves yields 2-4 grams of woad extract
I need 30 grams of extract to make a stock to then dye with.
it's slow and peaceful.
it's happy work for me.


8 comments:

  1. Sissy Hankshaw... wow that takes me back! Back in the day, I read all of Tom Robbins books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't read them all but Cowgirls was quite the rage.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:02 AM

    ... slow & peaceful & happy work ... & there's a lot to be said for that, if you can "afford" it. makes the price of "store bought" look not so bad. but, I would like to try this whole process someday, maybe ... m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you'd find it quite interesting, actually!

      Delete
  3. excellent blues.
    and tom robbins is worth the exploration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the blue thumbnail in the bottom picture. I wish mine were blue right along with yours. :)

    So, will you be harvesting all of the plants this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will Benita. I will let a few plants go to seed and then start the process again in the spring. I want the best blue pigment which I believe comes from the first year only. It's a learning process!

      Delete