Sunday, June 09, 2013

into Africa

I am winging off to Africa in the morning.
Rwanda specific.
We moved the flock to a fresh pasture this morning
and dear Crystal still takes the last position
but she sure does love the trek.
She and I travel along together
ever so slow but with focus on the reward.
Fresh grass.

I will be landing in Kigali and traveling west and north with Katie.
She has been living there for almost 2 years as a
volunteer with True Vineyard Ministries, a non-profit business employing 35 widows
identified as the most vulnerable women in their communities
I have sent in seeds for dye plants and carry a bag full of natural dyes, fabric, string, and thread.
Options to assist this group of 35 widows of the Rwandan genocide who
are finding their way to support themselves and their families
in the aftermath. It has been almost 20 years but the pain is ever-present.
They are working to forgive in a culture of silence.
 
I am packed, but still incredulous and awestruck as I head east/southeast across the
pond and a very large Sahara.
 
 


10 comments:

  1. Wow... I'm sure the journey will be extraordinary. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a journey. Too bad you are already out the door, you would enjoy Paul Theroux's book "Dark Star Safari: Overland from Cairo to Cape Town" He was in the first wave of aid (Peace Corps) in the early/mid 60's. He travels back to Africa and has interesting and thought provoking commentary on how aid has proved ruinous for Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a extraordinary and wonderful journey indeed. Safe travels and a hug for Katie. I still have a few of her cards left. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valeriana, it surely will be, thank you.

    Theresa, yes, a trusty book in hand but I will look this up for the reading pile, thanks.

    Manise, I will take a hug for Katie from you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful trip. How exciting and rewarding. I'm looking forward to your telling of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure you'll learn a lot as well as having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a wonderful trip! What an amazing opportunity! I hope you take lots of pics and share your story with the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all. I sure will do my best to share if internet cooperates!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmmm wonderful trip it will be !
    (are the sheep wearing a coat ???)

    Love the dried leaf mordant : old knowledge coming back to life !

    ReplyDelete